Applications are now invited from Research Staff from all four faculties who would like to participate in this year’s Researchers into Management Programme. Places are strictly limited.
What is Researchers into Management?
A flagship professional development programme covering the theory and practice of management and leadership. It is designed for Research Staff who are interested in developing these key skill areas, both to support their current roles and their career development – whether in academia, industry, business or other contexts. Participants will be equipped to work more effectively in their current roles, and to take on future challenges. Participation in the programme is FREE, and leads to an internationally-recognised award from the Institute of Leadership and Management.
What do participants gain?
- Skills and tools to be effective managers
- Understanding of how to lead and manage effectively
- Individual assessment of their current attitudes and behaviours in a managerial capacity, and understanding of their own strengths and capabilities
- Insight into managing projects and people in academic, business and industrial contexts
- Confidence to expand their professional capabilities
What are the benefits to research groups?
Individuals who participate in this programme will bring their skills and understanding into their current workplace. They will be better equipped to:
- Manage projects successfully
- Supervise and guide students skilfully
- Engage well with project partners
- Understand team dynamics and work effectively with others
- Professionally work with their line managers
- Lead and contribute to meetings
- Think strategically within the research environment
- Take responsibility and initiative in their current environment
- Communicate more effectively.
By supporting participation in Researchers into Management, the research group demonstrates its commitment to researchers’ professional development.
What is the investment?
Participants and their line managers must be committed to full participation in the programme. This involves seven workshop days spread over four months, plus a two-day intensive residential workshop. Participants will complete a project (2000 – 4000 words) which integrates and applies their learning. There is also some required reading, and interaction with course colleagues via the online community space. The programme is free of charge, funded by the University’s Roberts Innovative Projects fund, which is sourced from the UK Research Councils.
If you are interested in applying to the programme you can attend an induction session on Feb 22nd, 12.00-14.30 in Roscoe 1.010. This session will provide an introduction to the course, curriculum, and assessment. You will be able to decide whether the full programme is appropriate for you at this point in your career.
Further application details can be found at: http://www.researchersintomanagement.manchester.ac.uk/apply/
The deadline for 2010 applications is March 8th.