‘Working with digital archives’, research workshop organised by Manchester Digital Media Network and sponsored by Research Institute for Cosmopolitan Cultures.
17 March 2011, 3-6pm, University Place 4,211.
Attendance is free. Tea and coffee will be provided.
This half-day workshop explores technical, methodological and cultural issues associated with increasing use of digital data and in particular, digital archives, in academic research.
Full abstracts of presentations are available here http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/ricc/projects/MDMN/
3-4.20 pm Session 1 Tools, techniques and data management
• Digital archives: tools, data sets, cultural fields? Introduction and welcome Adi Kuntsman, Manchester Digital Media Network
• An overview of the University’s recent work on Data Storage Archiving and Curation, Carmel T. Dickinson, Manchester Informatics
• Global Threads Sally Olding, The Whitworth Art Gallery
4.20-4.50 pm coffee break
4.50-6 pm Session 2 Methods, dilemmas and cultural contexts
• Using blogs to explore the presentation of experience: balancing methodological potential and pragmatism. Helene Snee, School of Social Sciences
• Digital Archives, Media Convergence and the Dilemmas of Meaning in the Russian Context. Stephen Hutchings, School of Languages, Linguistics and Cultures