Date: 22 April, 2013
From: Professor Matt Lambon Ralph, Associate Vice President for Research
Dear Research Staff member
I’m writing to you personally to ask you to participate in a national survey of the experience of research staff at the University: The Careers in Research Online Survey (CROS). Your responses are vital in helping us understand what we are doing well and what we can do better to improve the working conditions, career aspirations and career development opportunities for research staff at the University.
The survey is an online questionnaire and should take no more than 20 minutes to complete. Your time on this task will be a very useful and an important investment. Data will be used by the University’s Researcher Development Group to continue our work to improve University-wide procedures and practices that better support our research staff. Past survey data have been very useful and have already shaped our current policies. For example, in response to CROS 2011 results, the University:
• Has launched the Research Staff Handbook to complement the induction process for new research staff and provide a reminder of key information for existing staff.
• Now has qualified coaches in each Faculty Training Team, providing one-to-one coaching services for research staff focusing on career management issues.
• Has launched a Research Staff Association (http://www.rsa.manchester.ac.uk) and introduced Research Staff Ambassadors across the Faculties.
• Is currently piloting a new Research Staff Development Online Tool (ResDot) to enhance support for identifying training needs and reviewing performance against your professional and career development goals.
• In conjunction with the Research Staff Association are launching a pilot scheme for prolonging access to email accounts and e-resources beyond the termination of research employment contracts – the first such scheme in the UK.
To complete the survey please go to: https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/manchester/2013cros
CROS is only available to you from Monday 22nd April until Friday 31st May 2013, so please take this valuable opportunity to have your say about the quality of your experience as a researcher at the University. The results will make a difference in the future but only if you complete the survey!
If you require more information or help with CROS please contact: Mark Leech (Mark.j.Leech@manchester.ac.uk) or your Faculty Researcher Development/Training Teams.
Professor Matt Lambon Ralph