Chancellors’ Conference Centre, Manchester
Facilitated by Dr. Ian Pople
The Academic Writing Retreat Days offer researchers two full days away from their normal working environment in order to focus exclusively on progressing a writing project. As well as having the opportunity to concentrate on their writing, participants will also have the chance to work with Dr. Ian Pople (Senior Language Tutor) in order to improve and refine their writing in general, and to advance their chosen piece in particular. Participants are expected to use the time between the two sessions to continue to develop their writing, and to return on day two for a second opportunity to focus on and cultivate their academic writing. Participants must commit to attending both days, as well as a pre-retreat meeting, in order to get the most from the event.
All meals and facilities at Chancellors are paid for by the Faculty of Humanities – Please note that it is a condition of registration that participants stay for the duration of the course, and that they attend the pre-retreat meeting (see below). A charge may be made for those who book a place and do not attend and/or leave before the course finishes on either day. Places are limited to 12, and are available on a first come-first served basis. Booking will close on 13/06/14.
- To provide dedicated time and space for staff and post-graduate researchers to focus on improving and developing their academic writing.
- To provide on-going feedback and facilitation where necessary.
- To enable discussion of writing in a supportive environment.
- For participants to write!
- A pre-retreat meeting (17/06/14, 14.30 – 15.30 in Humanities Bridgeford Street G34), at which aims and programme for the two days will be outlined.
- Participants would need to have a particular project in mind, although the state of this project would be in the hands of the participants.
- Participants would need to prepare a relatively detailed and realistic plan for using the writing time.